Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Aspies take Disney- Magic Kingdom Part 2

I'm going to try to cover at least two sections in this particular post, which shouldn't be hard because the ones I'm thinking of right now aren't exactly that big or significant.

Ahh, Frontierland. Home of two of Disney's biggest thrill rides. Also home to absolutely nothing that I did on my vacation. I honestly don't even think I stepped through the gate. "Splash Mountain," as I've heard, contains many little audio-animatonic creatures and a few caves before the big splash. If you love log flumes, you'll love this one. But if you have contacts or a fear of heights (or simply getting drenched to the bone) this is certainly not for you. There's no solid way to stay dry on this thing so plan for the soaking you'll receive. Needless to say, I didn't give this one a try.

Nor did I brave "Thunder Mountain Railroad," which had actually broken off its real tracks when we were in Disneyland. I'm sure that was a one-time maintenance issue, but it still keeps me far away. It's just one of those things that sticks in your head irrationally. Anyway, I'm not one for coasters and I've heard this is a bumpy one with lots of excitements along the way. Coaster-loving parents and siblings will want to try- and, most likely, love- this, but if big rides tend to be too much for your kid this will be no exception.

I'm no expert on any other parts of this section; not that I'm an 'expert' on the previous two either, I guess. The idea of Frontierland just isn't my thing to start with. For those who like it, I'm assuming the small amount of attractions is made up for just in the time it takes to get through those two big lines. Both of these offer FASTPASS. Use it. I cannot even begin to describe how much of a (FREE) benefit it is with big rides like these. Also, if the thrills are too much for young parkgoers but the rest of your party wants to experience them, use ride swap. Don't be afraid to ask for and pull out the Guest Services Card for those with disabilities if you think this will become a continual problem.

Let's move on to Liberty Square. It's a much quieter, less congested place than a good deal of the park which is nice as the crowds can become very frustrating here. This is where you can meet Tiana- she has her own little gazebo- and, when the mood strikes Disney, Naveen. If you haven't caught onto my frustration over the inconsistency of princes to meet (particularly my favorite ones) then I'm sorry that I haven't been frank enough. :D The riverboat is a relaxing, enjoyable ride. We didn't do it here because it wasn't important enough to fit in our schedule but liked it in Disneyland. Kids will be bored by "Hall of Presidents" and possibly even creeped out by the collection of audio-animatronic presidents talking to you. It seems milder than Cali's version but still not something I'd be into. I really don't think I have to explain why "Haunted Mansion" is one to skip. It's not that easy to find, which was nice for me because I didn't have to look at it even from afar. Columbia Harbor House is a great little restaurant. If you dine upstairs, certain windows are 'blocked off' so that you don't get distracted by the crowds and feel like you're in a real seafood restaurant. If you're like me and get grossed out by basically any fish to swim your way, don't worry. Their chicken is good and their fries are amazing. I also liked their apple crisp. Honestly, I liked everything I ate at Disney. I would go back just to eat their food...

...anyway. Onto good ole' Main Street U.S.A. This would be a really cute place to shop, snack, and see if you can run into any characters on your way into the park. I say 'would be' because that just simply isn't possible during the busier seasons. The crowds are thick throughout Disney World and that's just something you're going to have to deal with. That being said, a walk down Main Street is nowhere as calming and nostalgic as it should be during summer. It's hard to move at times and there are even people that push and shove to get their way. We treated it as an obstacle course and tried to get through as fast as we could; sadly, this was not at all Walt Disney's intention nor how it should be. I wanted to see the parade but simply wasn't able to because we were on the train. It's supposed to be wonderful. Anywho, the train was okay, but nothing exciting. It takes you on a full circle if you want it to and there are little things to look at along the way, but I could have skipped it. It's not intense at all, so if your little one loves trains you're going to have to ride it. If they don't like it once they're on, don't worry. There are two stops along the way for them to get off early.

One final word. Go to the Town Square Theater right by the entrance and snag your FASTPASS. Here, you can meet Mickey and the princesses. You have to chose just one line, though, and since Mickey's already at Epcot's character spot with a bunch of others I'd go ahead and try for the princesses. You get three for a similar wait time. The princesses change out depending on the day. I was quite annoyed when I learned that Rapunzel, my favorite princess, had the Fairytale Garden taken from her by Pixar's new kid on the block, Merida before Brave even had a chance to come out. (Not to mention that the transition got rid of, you guessed it, my other favorite prince: Flynn Rider!) I didn't think I'd be able to see her but was tipped off by Fairy Godmother (some less popular characters make unexpected appearances throughout the day, which is great because they also tend to have the smaller lines) that Rapunzel would be in the Theater that day. And she was. It was definitely worth the five or ten minute wait with FASTPASS. Belle and Cinderella were also there, which was nice. You don't get to see who you'll meet until you're inside the entrance, but if you pull out your card a cast member might be able to let you know beforehand. I'd hate to wait that long for people I'd already seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment